Research Fellowship Division
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
Kojimachi Business Center Building,
5-3-1 Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku,
Tokyo 102-0083, JAPAN
If you any differences in wording or interpretation should occur between Japanese and English, the Japanese part will take precedence.
Awarded to excellent young researchers, these fellowships offer the fellows an opportunity to focus on a freely chosen research topic based on their own innovative ideas. Ultimately, the program works to foster and secure excellent researchers.
(1) Core program for fostering young researchers
This fellowship program is Japan’s core program for cultivating young Japanese researchers. However, there is no nationality requirement for DC applications. See the Application Outline.
(2) Values the independence of young researchers
Excellent young researchers are allowed to focus on a freely selected research topic and at an independently chosen research institution.
(3) Supplying Research-Encouragement Funding and Disbursing Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research
Funding is provided to encourage and support doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers under JSPS’s Research Fellowships for Young Scientists. These researchers may also apply for a Grant-in-Aid for JSPS Fellows.
(4) Leave for child birth and infant nursing
Fellows who have to suspend their research for child birth and infant nursing are offered a path back into the laboratory. It is possible for them to work short hours while on such leave.
A fair and transparent screening process is carried out by JSPS’s Screening Committee for Young Researcher Fellowships, comprising frontline Japanese researchers. See the outline of screening process.
(2) Target fields
Young researchers in all fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are eligible to apply. When recognized as necessary to advancing their research, they may spend part of their tenure at another research institution, including one overseas.
(3) Fellowship categories
This program offers four categories of fellowships: Doctoral Course Students (DC) Postdoctoral Fellow (PD) Restart Postdoctoral Fellow (RPD) Superlative Postdoctoral Fellow (SPD)
Especially gifted researchers are selected from PD candidates to receive SPD fellowships.
Outstanding young researchers may be given a Restart Postdoc (RPD) Fellowship after suspending their research activities for the purpose of childbirth and/or infant nursing.
Research grant(Grant-in-Aid for JSPS Fellows)
· Enrolled in doctoral course · DC1: Enrolled in first year of doctoral course · DC2: Enrolled in second year or higher of doctoral course
DC1:3 years DC2:2 years
Up to ￥1.5 million/year
· Hold a doctoral degree
· Within 5 years after receiving doctoral degree
· Transfer to another university graduate school
· Hold a doctoral degree* · Within the past 5 years, suspended research for a period of 3 months or longer for purpose of child birth and infant nursing
· Hold a doctoral degree · Excellent researchers chosen from PD candidates · Transfer to another university graduate school
Up to ￥3 million/year
Number of Applications and Selections
Mathema -tical and Physical Sciences
Enginee -ring Sciences
Medical, Dental and Pharma- ceutical Sciences
Integra- ted Disciplines
※１ Especially gifted researchers are selected from PD candidates to receive SPD fellowships.
※２ Starting date of RPD fellowships is optional; April, july, october or January.