(Last Updated: March 17, 2020)
1. Basic concept
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) collects information via pages and services* posted on the JSPS website (https://www.jsps.go.jp/), hereafter called "the Site." User information is collected within parameters necessary to smoothly conduct the Site's operations, including information provision, Mail Magazine distribution, and opinion gathering. Information collected is properly handled within the limits of the usage purposes.
*List of services
・Window for Receiving Comments/Requests Regarding JSPS Programs
2. Scope of information collection
(1) The Site automatically collects information such as domain names, IP addresses, and Site browsing histories. To ascertain the state of the Site usage such as the number of times it is accessed, cookies are used to collect user information.
(2) Users are asked to register their email address when using the Mail Magazine.
(3) Users are asked to enter their name, email address, and phone number when using the Contact Form.
(4) Users are asked to enter their name, affiliated institution, academic unit/department (etc.), position, and email address when using the Window for Receiving Comments/Requests Regarding JSPS Programs.
(5) When required by the nature of an operation such as making requests to attend grant/fellowship application briefings or conducting questionnaire surveys, users may be asked to provide their name, age, occupation , affiliated institution, phone number, and/or email address (hereafter called "user attributes").
3. Usage purposes
(1) Information collected under paragraph 2(1) is used as reference for smoothly carrying out the services provided by the Site. The Site uses Matomo Analytics to ascertain the state of the Site usage.
(2) The registrant's email address collected under paragraph 2(2) is used to distribute the Mail Magazine. Voluntarily registered items will be used as reference when creating the Mail Magazine.
(3) Views and other information collected under paragraph 2(3) are used as reference in conducting future operations. User names, email addresses and phone numbers are used to answer and confirm user questions.
(4) Views and other information collected under paragraph 2(4) are used as reference in conducting future operations. User names and email addresses are used to answer and confirm user questions.
(5) Information collected under paragraph 2(5) is only used to smoothly carry out grant/fellowship application briefings and other such functions.
4. Restrictions on the use and provision of collected information
With the exception of replying to disclosure requests based on law or responding to illegal access, threats or other unlawful acts, or for other special reasons, JSPS does not use collected information, nor will it provide such information to third parties for any purposes other than those described in section 3 above. However, statistically processed Site access information, user attributes and other such information may be given public access.
5. Security measures
JSPS takes necessary measures to prevent leakage, loss and damage of collected information and to properly manage such information.
The operation of the Site may be outsourced. In such case, the organization to which the operation is consigned will take necessary measures to properly manage the collected information.
6. Disclosure of personal information
Users may request the disclosure, correction, or suspended use of retained personal information collected by JSPS on the Site pursuant to the provisions of the “Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Incorporated Administrative Agencies, etc.” (Act No. 59 of 2003). JSPS will determine whether or not to make disclosures (etc.) based on the Act.
Users may unsubscribe from the Mail Magazine at any time. Users may also change or correct their email address.
7. Scope of application
9. Contact information
Public Relations Office,
Institutional Research and Information Division,
Policy Planning Department,
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
5-3-1 Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 102-0083 JAPAN
Email: publicrelations * jsps.go.jp (Please replace *with @ )