1. Basic Concept
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) collects information via the JSPS website (hereafter called "the Site"). User information is collected within parameters necessary to smoothly conduct the site's operations, including information provision, Mail Magazine distribution, and opinion gathering. Information collected is properly handled within the limits of the usage purposes noted below.
2. Scope of information collection
(1) The site automatically collects information such as domain names, IP addresses, and site browsing histories. To ascertain the state of site usage such as the number of time it is accessed, cookies are used to collect user information.
(2) Users are asked to register their email address when using the Mail Magazine.
(3) Users are asked to register their name, phone number, and email address when using the "Contact Form".
(4) Users are asked to register their name, affiliated institution/department/ position, and email address when using the "Window for Receiving Comments/ Requests Regarding JSPS Programs".
(5) When the operation of such things as requests to attend grant/fellowship application briefings or conducting questionnaires requires, users may be asked to provide their affiliated organization, name, age, occupation, phone number, and email address (hereafter called "user attributes").
3. Usage purposes
(1) Information collected under paragraph 2(1) is used as reference for smoothly carrying out the services provided by the Site.
(2) The registrant's email address collected under paragraph 2(2) is used to distribute the Mail Magazine.
(3) Information registered in the "Contact Form" under paragraph 2(3) is used to respond to user comments and inquiries.
(4) Information registered in the "Window for Receiving Comments/Requests Regarding JSPS Programs" under paragraph 2(4) is used to respond to user comments and requests.
(5) Information collected under paragraph 2(5) is used only to smoothly carry out grant/fellowship application briefings and other functions.
4. Restrictions on the use and provision of collected information
Except for disclosure requests made based on laws and ordinances and for other specific reasons, JSPS only uses collected information for the purposes stipulated in section 3 above. Except for entrusted organizations, collected information is not provided to third parties. However, when statistically processed so as not to identify individuals, site access information, user attributes and other such information may be given public access.
5. Security Measures
JSPS takes necessary measures for the prevention of leakage, loss and damage and for the proper management of collected information.
The processing of some data related to Mail Magazine distribution, requests to attend grant/fellowship application briefings, questionnaires, and other such operations may be entrusted to external organizations. Necessary measures are taken to manage properly collected information commissioned in entrusted organizations.
6. Disclosure of personal information
(1) With the exception of information under paragraphs 2(3), (4) and (5), the Site does not collect information that identifies specific individuals. Therefore, we cannot respond to request for disclosure of information related to oneself by Mail Magazine registrants. Registration to the Mail Magazine may be cancelled at any time by the registrant. By deleting old information and/or registering new information, the registrant's information may be changed or corrected
(2) Regarding the "Contact Form", the purpose of using this information is limited to that defined in paragraph 3(3). Regarding requests for disclosure of information related to oneself, as it cannot be confirmed whether it is the requester him/herself who input the comment /inquiry, the information cannot be disclosed or altered.
(3) Concerning information on user attributes entered in "Window for Receiving Comments/Requests Regarding JSPS Programs," as stipulated under the "Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Incorporated Administrative Agencies, etc."(Act No.59 of 2003), only the user him/herself may request its disclosure. Upon the request, however, an examination is made to determine whether it can be processed.
(4) Concerning information on user attributes entered in requests to attend grant/fellowship application briefings or entered in questionnaires (etc.), as stipulated under the "Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Incorporated Administrative Agencies, etc."(Act No.59 of 2003), only the user him/herself may request its disclosure. Upon the request, however, an examination is made to determine whether it can be processed.
7. Scope of application