|Home >> Programs >> RONPAKU Program >> FAQ|
FAQs for RONPAKU Candidates
1. How do I go about applying for a RONPAKU Fellowship?
RONPAKU candidates are to prepare Forms 2 and 3 and send them to their prospective Japanese advisor. The prospective advisor is to fill out Form 1 and submit it along with all the other forms to JSPS through his/her university.
2. My home institution does not come under the jurisdiction of a JSPS counterpart organization. / I am from a country in which there is no JSPS counterpart organization. May I apply?
Yes, you may if you are a researcher from an applicable country listed in the application guidelines.
3. When should I apply for the program?
JSPS accepts applications once a year, usually in late August. Please note that JSPS counterpart organizations may set an earlier closing date for issuing a recommendation letter. Candidates in countries with a JSPS counterpart organization should ask them for deadline details in advance.
4. May I apply to JSPS directly?
No, you may not. All applications need to be submitted through a prospective Japanese advisor’s university.
5. I already have a PhD degree from a university in my home country. Am I qualified to apply for a RONPAKU Fellowship?
No, you may not. The candidate must be a researcher who has not obtained a PhD degree from a university.
6. I don’t know anybody to ask to be my Japanese advisor. May I ask JSPS to introduce me to one?
I’m sorry, but JSPS is not in a position to introduce prospective Japanese advisors to candidates. Please use your faculty’s international network, academic societies or other means to find a prospective Japanese advisor.
7. What is the eligibility of a Japanese advisor?
A prospective Japanese advisor must be a full-time researcher who, as of 1 April of the starting year of your fellowship, is engaged in implementing a doctoral course at the Japanese university where you will submit your PhD thesis.
8. When may I receive my selection result?
JSPS will inform you of the result by the end of next January.
|Overseas Fellowship Division
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
5-3-1, Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0083 JAPAN
Telephone: +81.(0)3. 3263.2368 Facsimile: +81.(0)3.3263.1854