BRIDGE Fellow Eligibility
To be eligible, a researcher must meet the following requirements.
- Be a researcher who has experienced research in Japan under a JSPS program and who is currently a regular member of an officially recognized JSPS alumni association.
- Be a researcher who is employed as an active researcher working at a university or a research institute.
- Agreement by host researcher to all seven items of support in FormB (Agreement by Host Researcher)
* Upon receiving a recommendation from an alumni association/JSPS office, JSPS contacts the proposed host researcher in Japan. When doing so, there have been cases when proposed hosts said that they could not provide the support stipulated in Form2 or could not host the fellow. Therefore, researchers should communicate fully with their proposed Japanese hosts before applying.
* Researchers who have already been supported under this program in either FY2015, FY2016, FY2017, FY2018 or FY2019 are ineligible for this award.
* Each alumni association has its own screening criteria (Provision b). Please check the screening criteria (Provision b) of your alumni association before applying.
Host Researcher Eligibility
In principle, researchers who are employed full time or classified as such at one of the Japanese research institutions listed below are eligible to host a BRIDGE Fellow.
* Full-time employment is determined by the regulations of the host institution.
* There are cases when researchers not employed in a full-time position may be eligible. Such persons must be eligible to apply for Grants-in-aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) and their affiliated institution must judge them able to implement the project and must provide an appropriate research environment (e.g., laboratory, equipment, personnel) for it.
- Universities and inter-university research institutes
- MEXT-affiliated institutions engaged in research
- Colleges of technology
- Institutions designated by the Minister of MEXT
* A research support allowance is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses. Application is made by the host researcher through his/her institution. This allowance may be applied for in an amount of up to ¥100,000.
* Eligible institutions under (1)-(4) are listed at:
(Posted only in Japanese)