Applications are recruited and screened by alumni associations in coordination with the JSPS office, which recommend candidates to JSPS. To ensure effective screening, researchers should include all required documents with their applications and submit them to the place specified in the application guidelines established by each alumni association in coordination with the JSPS office.
Documents to be submitted to the alumni association/JSPS office
The alumni association/JSPS office screen the submitted applications and send candidate recommendations along with the required documents (sub-paragraphs 1) and 2) below) via the Internet to the address provided by JSPS by the deadlines stipulated in the application guideline.
All paper used in applications should be A4 size. The format prescribed by JSPS should be used for recommendations. The size or format of the forms should NOT be altered by applicants.
- Application documents prepared by applicants (and submitted to the alumni association/JSPS office)
* Applicants should provide the alumni association/JSPS office with any other documents they wish to be submitted.
- a) Application for JSPS BRIDGE Fellowship (Form A)PDF
- b) Agreement by Host Researcher (Form B)PDF
- Recommendation documents prepared by applicant’s alumni association in coordination with the JSPS office
- a) List of Recommendees from BRIDGE Nominating Committee (Form C)PDF
- b) Letters of Recommendation from BRIDGE Nominating Committee (Form D)PDF
- c) Provisions a), b), c) ,d)
Notification of Selection Results by JSPS
- An award letter from JSPS’s president and accompanying documents will be sent to the successful candidates.
Notification date: mid-May
- Unsuccessful candidates are not notified of their selection results.
- JSPS cannot respond to individual requests regarding selection results.
Responsibilities of BRIDGE Fellows and Host Researchers
- Obtaining cooperation from their institution’s administrative office, host researchers are to provide facilities needed for visiting researchers to carry out their research activities during their stay in Japan. When needed, host researchers will also assist with immigration processing, securing domicile and other matters related to the fellow's stay in Japan.
- Host researchers are not to subject the visiting researchers to misbehavior (e.g., discrimination (racial or gender), harassment (sexual or academic), abuse of power, neglect), or language or treatment that could be construed as such, during their tenures.
- Visiting researchers are not to subject others to misbehavior (e.g., discrimination (racial or gender), harassment (sexual or academic), abuse of power, neglect) either in or outside the host institution during their tenures.
- Fellows are to submit a post-visit report using "RESEARCH REPORT" (Form 7) to JSPS and the alumni association/JSPS office within one month after the end of their visits.
- Fellows are asked to mention that they are invited under the BRIDGE Fellowship Program when giving lectures and other presentations in Japan.
- Fellows are obligated during their tenures to concentrate on creating, sustaining and/or strengthening research and academic networks related to this fellowship program. During their tenures, Fellows are not to engage in other activities irrespective of whether they are paid or non-paid activities.
- A researcher may not be a candidate for both this fellowship program and another JSPS program at the same time.
- A researcher may not be awarded a BRIDGE Fellowship and a fellowship from another funding organization at the same time.
- Incomplete or faulty applications will not be reviewed.
- Applicants are to describe the results they obtained in other JSPS program(s) and their relevance to this BRIDGE fellowship program.
- There is a limit of one application per person under each recruitment. This should be confirmed when a researcher applies who belongs to two or more alumni associations.