The launching of the 21st Century COE Program in 2002 has had a significant impact on each Japanese university. It also has attracted wide media attention, especially with regard to the programís selection and assessment process. Such media coverage is expected to amplify the many rich fruits that the selected COEs promise to bear. This should, in turn, enhance the programís influence not only on each university, but on Japanís overall scientific community. At present, some of the programís outcomes are as follows.
- Superlative research and educational bases being established
- Young researchers as "Research Associate" employed at COEs
- Effective administrative structure under university presidentís leadership established
- University-Industry cooperation being promoted
- Double-Major system by several advisors implemented etc.