|1.Research Institution||Osaka University|
|2.Research Area||Integrated Fields|
|3.Research Field||Causes and Effects of Environmental Loading and its Reduction|
|4.Term of Project||FY 1997 〜 FY 2001|
|6.Title of Project||Establishment of New Technology for the Risc Estimation on Humans by Environmental Toxic Agents|
|Name||Institution,Department||Title of Position|
|Taisei Nomura||Osaka University, Graduate School of Medicine||Professor|
|Names||Institution,Department||Title of Position|
|Hiroo Nakajima||Osaka University, Graduate School of Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Hideaki Miyata||Setsunan University, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences||Professor|
|Eiji Hosoda||Keio University, Department of Economics||Professor|
9.Summary of Research Results
New technologies were established for evaluation of the risk of environmental toxic agents,
especially dioxins, to humans, and the following results were obtained.
1. A novel biotechnology to evaluate environmental hazards in normal human organs and tissues maintained in SCID (severe combined immunodeficient) mice.
(1) Establishment of SCID mice defective T, B, NK and/or macrophage function, i.e. defective of rejection of normal human tissues.
(2) Morphology and function of normal human organ and tissues (lung, liver, intestine, thyroid, skin, bone marrow, etc.) are well maintained for long period (> 2 years), including human embryo.
(3) First success to induce mutation and cancer in normal human skin by UVB and morphological and functional damage (secretion of hormone) and changes in gene expression in human thyroid tissues by low doses of dioxin (TCDD).
2. Establishment of super-sensitive and rapid detector.
(1) Super-sensitive and rapid detector (GC-MS) enabled to quantify the small amounts of dioxins in 5 ml of blood in human, i.e., in femto-gram (10-15g) order.
(2) Detection of dioxins via the milk and placenta.
(3) Production of highly mutagenic Nitro-PAHs instead of dioxins which were reduced by the waste incinerator at high temparature.
3. Economic policy for the waste control.
(1) Large amounts of electricity were produced by a new incinerator (K-plant) for waste treatment.
(2) High cost materials (Methanol and DME) can be produced by treating plastics wastes (M-plant).
(3) Economic benefits were calculated for waste control by K and M-plant; essential for "Recycling ".
(1)Environmental Polutant、(2)Dioxin、(3)Super GC-MS Detector
(4)SCID-human Mouse、(5)Evaluation of Human Risk、(6)Environmental Policy
(7)Femto-gram、(8)SCID mouse、(9)Economic Benefit