"Strategic Fund for Establishing International Headquarters in Universities"
In FY 2005 the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology started the "Project of International Strategy Headquarters in Universities" to respond to the international intellect race and establish an internationally competitive research environment in Japanese universities for attracting distinguished researchers from both inside and outside of Japan.
The project aims: To develop inter-department organization "International Strategy Headquarters" according to the characteristics of each university, to support university-wide organizational, international activities in organic cooperation with various organizations in the university by creating its own international strategy, and to develop an outstanding model of international development strategy and create a standard for the promotion of autonomous consideration with originality and ingenuity in other universities.
- This is a new program, launched in FY 2005 by Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). It is budgeted at ¥500 million per year.
- Program implementation is commissioned by MEXT to the Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) and the Japan International Science and Technology Exchange Center (JISTEC).
- In turn, JSPS/JISTEC re-commission projects to selected universities (with each project funded at ¥10-40 million per year).
- Project duration is five years, from FY 2005 through FY 2009.
[Twenty Pilot Universities]
Advance institution-wide international activities by strengthening the functions of their "international strategy headquarters."
- Establish within their organizations international strategy headquarters, and strengthen the program planning and implementation functions of these headquarters
- Systematically strengthen their support systems for foreign researchers and students, including those for enhancing their living environment as well as facilitating education and research
- Secure and train university faculty and staff who can carry forward internationalization initiatives
- Collect and disseminate pertinent information; build networks
- Develop strategic models for university internationalization
- Conduct comprehensive evaluations of the pilot universities' internationalization activities, and extract good practices
- Survey international strategies and internationalization activities of universities and other institutions both in and outside Japan
- Provide advice on internationalization activities to pilot universities
- Provide funding to support such activities
- Disseminate good results to other universities
[University International Strategy Council]
Provide advice to JSPS regarding overall program operation
- Select 20 pilot universities (selection made by evaluation working group within the Committee on International Affairs under MEXT's Council for Science and Technology)
- Conduct interim project evaluations (at 3-year juncture) and post-project evaluations